Phone lines open during off-hours and weekends
Long Island City, NY 11101
Open Door Home Care connects its patients with medical social workers in the State of New York. These multi-functional (yet, rather social than medical) professionals provide support to elderly or disabled patients and their families. They assist the aforementioned groups in solving issues related to health care, especially during and after the hospital stay and throughout the battle with chronic illnesses. Medical social workers at Open Door Home Care pursue the goal of improving patients’ well-being and keeping them safe in the comfort of their own homes.
The quality of patient’s life and the chances for a full recovery depend not just on the medical services they may receive, but also on their ability to mentally adjust to the influence medical conditions may impose on their lifestyle, financial situation, employment and relationships with friends, relatives, or the loved ones. If elderly and disabled individuals aren’t capable to readjust to the new circumstances, accept the changes their body goes through and cope with the financial side of medical treatment, they may enlist the assistance of medical social workers through Open Door Home Care.
Our specialists work with elderly and disabled clients to help them manage life crises arising from their medical conditions and deal with health insurance and treatment expenses. They also educate families and senior individuals on these issues, endeavor to improve clients’ mental and physical health and reduce the financial burden of medical services.
Social work in health care requires special education. In the State of New York and Nassau County in particular, medical social workers have to obtain master’s degree in social work with the clinical focus in order to be able to get a license of a Master Social Worker. They are also obliged to complete special training in health, health care policy, health care system and behavioral health conditions, as well as 3 years of supervised experience to file for a license of a Clinical Social Worker. Then, they’re able to practice health and social work independently. Open Door Home Care cooperates only with the most professional, trained individuals to ensure that the highest quality service is provided to our clients. We hire only compassionate social workers as we understand the delicate nature of their role.
Usually, medical social workers start their cooperation with elderly and disabled patients by assessing their medical and psychological problems. The specialists determine which kind of help the clients need, learn which mental, financial or social problems related to the medical conditions they have.
After that, they perform the following:
1. Biopsychosocial-spiritual assessment – to provide medical social services to elderly and disabled individuals they need, Open Door’s workers closely communicate with the patients. They determine their mental state, as well as the resilience level, to understand that person better and help him function in the society.
2. Risk evaluation. The workers assess risks of self-harm (including suicidal inclinations), family violence, depression and similar phenomena to develop a plan on how to avoid them.
3. Discharge planning. Our medical social workers cooperate with medical, social and health care facilities/specialists to work out the most elaborate post-discharge care plan. Besides, they assist in its implementation.
4. Family education. Providing families with information regarding patient adaptation, mental health improvement, social integration and other issues is an inseparable part of medical social work Open Door’s staff does.
5. Patient counseling. Open Door’s medical social workers provide consultations regarding numerous issues: mental health problems, ways to accept your disability, chronical illnesses or age, cope with medical expenses, living safely in your own home instead of moving into a special elderly care facility, etc.
Open Door Home Care operates to provide comprehensive medical and social assistance to the clients. Feel free to get in touch to learn how we can help in your particular situation.